Wednesday, July 14, 2004

In The Bol

Many times, I contemplate my place in the design community, and sometimes the world in general. Am I where I am supposed to be? Stuff like that. Currently, I think I am where I am supposed to be. I am still a designer, so that is a good start. I am happy with the people I work with. I don’t dread coming to work. When I wake up on the weekdays, I consider what I need to do around the house before I leave for work, but I never really think to myself, “Gee… I feel a cough coming on.”

I bring this up, because, a couple of people I have worked with in the past constantly mention how they want to start their own business to squeeze into the advertising industry. That is fine and all and I wish them the best of luck. It’s when they want me to hop on that cliff-bound vehicle with them, that I get a little itchy. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to be my own boss, making the design decisions and such for a client. I think I might even be rather decent at managing the creative side of a small firm. -However-, I don’t want to. I am timid. That’s right, scared of dipping my toe into that particular pond. Right now, I am comfortable and secure. I am good at what I do and I am relaxed knowing that I could be here for quite some time. And, it is that timidness that I fear prohibits me from taking on full responsibility for a client’s business image. I kinda, sorta did it before (by myself) and I felt a lot of “coughs” coming on. I suppose that once I break through that shell, I would weigh the notion of my own business more heavily, but right now, I just don’t wanna. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

I had lunch with the missus today. At Chipotle. She turned me on to their Burrito Bols a while back and because she was coming downtown today, we decided to get our lunch on. Last time I got the Bol, they failed to include the rice (I get the Fajita Chicken one). This time, rice all over the bottom of that bowl. Damn that's good eatin’.

I have seen the Blue Man Group twice now. Caught the first one in Vegas and the other right here in Austin. One of the things I like about this inventive percussive group is their instruments. With that said, I would love to see this Blue Man Dream Machine get actually produced.

PS: Having fans in NY rulez!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
William Shakespeare (1564-1616)