Thursday, July 15, 2004

Commercial Comics

Ok, so Analog Voyager plays good music. I like it. Very nice mix of artists too. But here’s something that doesn’t make sense to me, at all: there are commercials and you have to pay for it to be guaranteed a connection.

First of all, AV, you are an online radio station. There are, literally, thousands of you out there. And thousands that are 100% free. And many of those thousands do -not- have commercials. The bottom line is, there are 100s of other stations for me to easily click on. And clicky I will. Now, in the middle of the day, I might see if I can access AV again, but if I can’t, no biggie, I will simply go back to radioioAMBIENT or GrooveRadio or any number of other stations. Either way, there is no way in -HELL- I am paying for an online radio station. Especially one that has commercials as often (and as lame) as AV does. By the way, there are 41 stations to choose from under Electronica alone, and I don’t recall hearing commercials on any of the other stations, ever. Station call outs don’t count. I am talking about commercials for freakin’ RadioShack and University Alliance (online degree program).

So last night I am playing FFXI and all (doing Mission 2-3), when one of my old LinkShell buddies runs into me. Out of the blue, he asks, "So when are you gonna do more of that spider comic?" Well, damn, looks like I need to get off my ass and start actually making more SPeCks… I might do more illustrative one-offs to scan in and upload or something. Maybe in a different section. I don’t know.

I really like both the style and the humor of the comics created by Tom Gauld and Simone Lia. I want the books.

No comments: