Monday, July 19, 2004

50s Gig

This weekend was especially busy for me. Cranking out some updates for work related projects, cleaning the house, entertaining guests. The last two with regard to my mother’s 50th birthday. Needless to say, it was an all-day affair, Saturday. Sunday was more-or-less a day of recuperation as well as watching my niece for the remainder of the weekend. Generally, 50th birthday parties are festooned with black balloons and woeful scripting. Well, that’s not really a celebration, now is it. In my mom’s case, a 50s theme felt only natural. Records, classic cars, rolled up sleeves to secure your cigs, slicked back hair, long skirts and bright plastic set the atmosphere for a true birthday celebration.

I am fortunate to share many events in my life with my mother. I don’t lament on the loss of my father, that benefits no one. Rather, I rejoice the moments I had with him. However, I did find myself wishing my dad could have made it to 50. To see his brothers and sisters rib their younger sibling at reaching that milestone. To be a part of that celebration. I’ll never share another moment with him. But I will with my mom. I thank God for that. Bless those who are not as fortunate as me. Pray for those who can no longer find comfort in a parent.

hehe… so, SPeCks… did I mention I had a huge party at my house, with full guest rooms this weekend?

This just made me laugh. A lot. Strongbad thingy-majiggy.

No comments: