Sunday, March 20, 2005

Showy Advertising

A show that me and my wife like to watch on occasion is Boston Legal. There are two pivotal characters in the show: Alan Shore (played by James Spader) and Denny Crane (played by William Shatner). I think James Spader is awesome in this show. Remember Steff (Spader) from "Pretty in Pink"? Ya, Shore is Steff all grown up. It’s great.

Now, Crane… Denny Crane. This guy knows how to sell himself. If you’ve watched the show, you know what I’m talking about. Every time the man walks down a court hallway and reporters are all around asking questions, his only response is his name. Denny Crane. Denny Crane. Denny Crane. Hell, he has even used it in the middle of a trial. “What’s my name?” “A little louder.” “Once more with feeling.” “Denny Crane.” Half his business is based off that name alone. Even if the guy sucked at being a trial lawyer (which he has never lost a trial case, so he does something right), at least you know his name. And forget about commercials. The guy doesn’t need any. His name is all over the news just about every case. Denny Crane. Whether he is the one saying it or not. In the courtroom, outside the courtroom, wherever, this man’s name is being played.

I think I am going to start taking up this form of advertising. Terry Tolleson. I’ll just end every sentence with it. “Welcome to Schlotzkey’s! What can I get you today?” “I'd like the #2 with jalapeƱo chips please. Terry Tolleson.” You know, so they know who’s name to call out when the order is ready. Terry Tolleson.

No comments: