Saturday, March 12, 2005

Fleurons of Hope

Ok, I am not sure when, exactly, the Font Aid III Tsunami font was finalized, but it is actually done and available for purchase. Fleurons of Hope can be purchased via MyFonts or when you buy the Tsunami Edition of Building Letters.

As you might recall, I made a submission and you can see what character (and the method of producing the fleuron) my calla lily fleuron is under.

I'm not really complaining — the cause for the font is extraordinary — but I sorta thought there would be some form of selection process, or at least a bit of hierarchy on the characters assigned to the images. However, that doesn’t seem to be the case. To access my lily, you have to create the capital letter U with an accent mark – Ú …not exactly on the home row, is it. There are several fleurons that are very well done that also suffer this obscure character assignment. Which is why the assignment for the letter m (or g for that matter) kinda bothers me. Are these so much better than mine or, say, this – mathematical operator: complement – that they get the common character assignment, while our’s get some rarely used, seldom seen character on the map? And what the hell is this?!

3 comments:

Missy said...

I love your Fleuron. It is so very you. I remember when you first showed me your favorite flower back in 1992 at Highland Mall. You didn't know the name for it and we searched until we found it. I am glad it isn't an ordinary keystroke. It shouldn't be. Ú is perfect for you.

I love you

Anonymous said...

I like your fleuron. Very nice.

It looks like they arranged the font alphabetically by first name. If your first name would have started with an A you would have had a very prominent key. Check out the PDF that came with the font to see who designed what.

Don't feel too bad. I can't even figure out what character Matthew Carter's is supposed to be. It looks like a hyphen of m-dash in the PDF but I can only find it by using the glyphs feature in InDesign.

I wonder why they didn't send emails to all the people that submitted fonts. This should have been the first thing they did once they released the font. That is not the best marketing plan, but hopefully they will still make a great deal of money for this cause.

terry said...

Thanks for you compliment Bennett (and of course, Missy).

I have yet to purchase the font as I am waiting for Building Letter's Tsunami Edition of their rag to become available. That way, I get the posters and the fonts and all the neat stuff that comes with that particular edition.

Ya, I guess alphabetical makes it more unbiased. However, I wonder if some form of bias should have been applied when accepting the fleurons in the first place. Your’s is very nice and quite conceptual, by the way.