Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Pondering Ponds

Yesterday was an impromptu visit to Babies ‘R’ Us. I really do enjoy those little trips. It can be exhausting to see the number of current trends for crib bedding sets. Most of these fall into some kind of floral theme or even just a quilt type look of colors, but there are a few that are rather clever. The poor design selection is more than made up for by watching my wife waddle down the rows of offerings. As I have mentioned before, we are looking into a pond theme for the room (subject to change). Little frogs, dragonflies, lady bugs, lily pads, light greens, leaves, etc. etc. etc.

There just isn’t really anything out there with the kind of look and feel we have in our minds. None that suits our tastes, that is. Nor our wallets.

As a designer, I would very much like to create the space my child will sleep in every night. Admittedly, not being much of an illustrator, this makes it a bit more difficult. And with baby stores not offering much by way of ‘inspiration’, it is a tad more difficult to draw something out. I am soon to pencil out a few ideas for pond scenes, but getting them onto a wall is another story. I am considering an overhead projector of sorts to accomplish the transfer. Seems simple enough. Of course, doing is not as easy as saying. Moreso, any items/designs I actually do purchase for the baby’s room will have to match whatever I create. We shall see what we shall see.

Elsewhere, Sin City is out and playing in your local theaters. I highly recommend watching this flic. Almost a direct copy of the series (a really, really good thing), it is a really well made film. I don’t think I could justify the film with any form of review, but it is just so darned good. If you have read the graphic novels, then you will basically get a visual and auditory version — and in this case, that ain’t bad. If you haven’t read them, don’t worry, the movie is awesome on its own. Just sit back, relax and enjoy this uncompromised piece of art.

2 comments:

Missy said...

I love how you mentioned my waddling. Yes I waddle. It is the most comfortable way to walk with a large belly. I have not given up on our pond theme. I know it will all come together in the mere 5.5 weeks that is my goal - no pressure.

I love you baby. Thank you for making me so very happy.

m

Hildie said...

You need help? :-)


-budi