Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Further Font Findings

I am not nearly as knowledgeable of type as I would like to be. There are several designers out there that have a greater grasp (borderline obsession) of typography in comparison. But I am not here to compare myself to those designers. Only state that there are those out there more knowledgeable and my desire to attain a greater vocabulary of type.

I had mentioned before that I had interest in some fonts offered by Fountain. They are classic serifs that are dignified and clean. At least to me. I have mentioned other type offerings, such as Scala, that I would like to enrich my library with. I have recently discovered further offerings by Hoefler & Frere-Jones Typography, namely, Requiem. A beautiful specimen. Most particularly, the Y. I have mentioned my excessive use of Minion. I am sure at one point or another I expressed my fondness for Pontifex. These are all very nice, clean, readable serifs.

So what does this mean? I believe it means I enjoy the classical, elegant fonts available to designers. Oddly, there are just as equally beautiful sans-serifs that are not on my immediate favorites list, though I do have favorites among them. Officina, for example. Should H&FJ release Retina, no doubt I will be in search of funds to acquire it. What I like most about the serif fonts is that they seem to have more character, more effort in their design. Readability (not necessarily legibility) aside, they also give a better feeling for the piece in which they are used.

Salad Fingers is an excessively disturbing series created by a clearly deranged individual. Worse than a train wreck and certainly viewed at your own risk.

No comments: